Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Being Yourself

Passion Level: 8
Motivation Level: 10

I am a very introverted person. I'm not a social butterfly and I'm not the life of the party. That's just the way I am and I'm comfortable with that, but sometimes other people around me aren't.

People criticize me for being myself. It always starts out in a friendly, innocent way. It's usually someone asking me about the last time I went out of inviting me to an event. We're having a pleasant conversation, then suddenly I'm under attack. Or more accurately my personality is under attack.

It's not that I've done anything wrong. The other person just can't accept that I don't act or think the same way they do. I should want to do all the same things they like and I should give some kind of explanation as to why I don't.

People are not meant to me, but the peer pressure is always there. There is always some reason that I should act or think more like someone else. The way I am doesn't make sense, so people feel like they either need to change it or try to understand the reasons behind it.

It's human nature to expect other people to act and think the same way we do. I do the same thing sometimes, but we should never allow those social pressures to keep us from being ourselves. Expectations won't keep me from being myself and it won't keep me from writing my songs either.

~Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment