Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Hardest Part

Passion Level: 10
Motivation Level: 9

If asked what the hardest part of writing lyrics is, my first response would be finishing them. I can come up with ideas that I think have a lot of potential easily, but those ideas tend to come to me during moments in which I cannot devote myself to finishing it just then. When I come back to those lyrics later, I find that it's difficult to finish those lyrics unless I can put myself back into the mindset I was in when I came up with the original idea, which is a challenge in and of itself.

Once I have a tune in my head that I like I don't want to change it, but when I try to create more lyrics to add to the song I have difficulty staying within those boundaries that I have already set. That makes the second hardest part balancing the lyrics within a melody when I am still in the process of completing those lyrics. I don't want to change what I already have, but sometimes I have no choice if the new lyrics I come up with don't fit into that same melody. These songs are like a puzzle sometimes. The difference is that sometimes there are more pieces than you need and sometimes there are not enough. Either way, it is not complete unless you take the time to analyze every little piece and make sure it has a place.

~Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment